North Monastery Buddy Mentors
North Monastery Secondary School operates a mentoring programme in school. The aim is to provide additional support to young people who have made the transition from primary to secondary education. The programme matches first year students with fifth year students. They meet once a week for the school year and offer support and advice when necessary.
Training is provided in Transition Year by a leadership team comprising of Ms Dunlea and Mr Barry while Ms Cronin recruits and supervises the mentors in Fifth Year and facilitates the smooth running of the programme.
Pre requisites for the Buddy Mentoring Programme:
- The programme is voluntary for all parties involved.
- The programme is professionally managed and supervised.
- All volunteers are screened for their appropriateness, ability and safety.
- All volunteers are provided with training about mentoring, child development and child protection .
- Mentors meet regularly with the Buddy co-ordinator to evaluate progress and discuss changes
The transition from Primary to Secondary can be a difficult one for some and our Fifth Year Buddies contribute to making it that bit easier, and we are very grateful for their support in ensuring that our First-Year students have a very enjoyable and positive experience in The Mon.
Pictured Fifth Year Buddies 2021/2022