Transition Year is an optional one-year school programme in the North Monastery Secondary School.
The purpose of Transition Year within our school is:
- to place emphasis on personal development including social awareness and increased social competence.
- to promote general, technical, and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-destructed learning
- to give our students a learning experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
Throughout the TY year, students will develop the following skills:
- Information processing
- Being personally effective
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Working with others
In the North Monastery Secondary School, our TY programme provides a wide range of subjects which change. At the end of each school year, we review and update the selection of subjects/modules offered.
|World Religions||Physical Education|
|Politics and Society||Computer Science|
Throughout the TY year, students are offered the opportunity to take part in a number of specialist modules.
|Coding||Gaisce President’s Award|
|Diversity||Leadership for Life (Foróige)|
|Debating||Young Social Innovators|
|Life Skills & Catering|
|BT Young Scientist|
Assessment is a key part of Transition Year within our school, it gives our students an opportunity to move beyond the narrow focus of end-of-year, written exams. The emphasis is on varied and on-going assessment with students themselves becoming involved in diagnosing their own learning strengths and weaknesses. Project work, portfolio work, and exhibitions of students’ work are an essential part of our programme.
Our TY students engage in a wide variety of activities during the course of TY which can vary from year to year (subject to public health), some of these include:
|Getting Ready for Work Experience Week (Online)||Mental Health Workshops|
|Social Work Experience||Work Experience|
|Drama Workshops||Field Trips (Geography, History, etc.)|
|Green Flag / Amber Flag / Yellow Flag||Outdoor pursuits|
|Debating / Public Speaking|
|TY Musical (every second year)|
|TY Contract 2021-2022: Fill out the digital form here or please download and print the form here.|
Work Experience 2021/2022
- Online Preparation Week 2: February 7th to February 11th, 2022
- Work Experience Week 2: April 4th to April 8th, 2022
Students will make use of both Microsoft Teams and the TY Reflection Journal to monitor their progress throughout the year. More information regarding Microsoft Teams is available here.
If you have any further queries regarding our Transition Year Programme, please click here.
- TY Year Head (2021-2022): Mr Barry
- TY Coordinator (2021-2022):