This information is specific to incoming students – TY Programme 2022-2023
Transition Year is an optional one-year school programme in the North Monastery Co-educational Secondary.
The purpose of Transition Year within our school is:
- to place emphasis on personal development including social awareness and increased social competence.
- to promote general, technical, and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-destructed learning
- to give our students a learning experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
Throughout the TY year, students will develop the following skills:
- Information processing
- Being personally effective
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Working with others
In the North Monastery Secondary School, our TY programme provides a wide range of subjects which change. At the end of each school year, we review and update the selection of subjects/modules offered. Subject to change.
|World Religions||Physical Education|
|Politics and Society||Computer Science|
Throughout the TY year, students are offered the opportunity to take part in a number of specialist modules.
|Coding||GAA Leadership Programme|
|Diversity||Leadership for Life (Foróige)|
|Debating||Young Social Innovators|
|Life Skills & Catering|
|BT Young Scientist|
Assessment is a key part of Transition Year within our school, it gives our students an opportunity to move beyond the narrow focus of end-of-year, written exams. The emphasis is on varied and on-going assessment with students themselves becoming involved in diagnosing their own learning strengths and weaknesses. Project work, portfolio work, and exhibitions of students’ work are an essential part of our programme.
Our TY students engage in a wide variety of activities during the course of TY which can vary from year to year (subject to public health), some of these include:
|Getting Ready for Work Experience Week (Online)||Mental Health Workshops|
|Social Work Experience||Work Experience|
|Drama Workshops||Field Trips (Geography, History, etc.)|
|Green Flag / Amber Flag / Yellow Flag||Outdoor pursuits|
|Debating / Public Speaking|
|TY Musical (every second year)|
Work Experience 2022/2023
Work placement is to commence from Wednesday September 14th, 2022. Work placement will take place every Wednesday from 9am to 1pm during the course of the academic year (with exception to school holidays).
Work Placement will take place between the following dates:
- Phase 1: September 14th 2022 to October 26th 2023
- Phase 2: November 2nd, 2022 to December 21st, 2022
- Phase 3: January 11th to March 29th, 2023
- Phase 4: April 19th to May 24th, 2023
Work Placement Documentation
Students will make use of both Microsoft Teams and the TY Reflection Journal to monitor their progress throughout the year. More information regarding Microsoft Teams is available here.
If you have any further queries regarding our Transition Year Programme, please click here.
TY Team (2022-2023)
- TY Coordinator: Ms. L. Harold
- Work Experience Coordinator: Ms. C. Dunlea
- TY Year Head: Ms. Christine Coleman