Transition Year is an option one-year school programme in the North Monastery Secondary School.
The purpose of Transition Year within our school is:
- to place emphasis on personal development including social awareness and increased social competence.
- to promote general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-destructed learning
- to give our students a learning experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
Each subject/module offered to our students focuses on one or more of the following key skills. We hope our students will engage with these key skills throughout the academic year.
- Information processing
- Being personally effective
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Working with others
In the North Monastery Secondary School our TY programme provides a wide range of subjects which change. At the end of each school year we review and update the selection of subject/modules offered.
- MFL (French/Spanish)
- World Religions
- Physical Education
- Careers & Guidance
- Applied Maths
- Art & Design
- Music & Drama
- Politics and Society
- Build Environment
- Chinese Studies
- Ecological Science
- Food Catering
- Irish Sign Language
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Young First Aiders
Assessment is a key part of Transition Year within our school it gives our students an opportunity to move beyond the narrow focus of end-of-year, written exams. The emphasis is on varied and on-going assessment with students themselves becoming involved in diagnosing their own learning strengths and weaknesses. Project work, portfolio work and exhibitions of students’ work are an essential part of our programme.
Our TY students engage in numerous activities during the course the academic year which vary from year to year, here is a selection of activities which have taken place.
- Annual TY European Trip
- BT Young Scientist Competition
- Careers Exhibitions / Career Talks
- Charitable work / Fundraising
- CIT Access
- Drama Workshops
- Field Trips (Geography, History, Art, Music etc.)
- Graffiti Drama Workshop
- Green Flag / Amber Flag / Yellow Flag
- Mind Your Head (HSE Mental Health Programme)
- Oysterhaven Activity Centre
- Public Speaking / Debating
- School Tours
- Work Experience (over 2 weeks)
- Young Enterprise
- Young Social Innovators
If you have any queries regarding our Transition Year Programme, please e-mail us at: email@example.com