Transition Year School Tour
For the last three years, students from Transition Year have visited France as part of their educational school tour. All students study French at both Higher and Ordinary level for the Leaving Certificate and so the school tour to France serves as an opportunity to practice their French, experience the French culture and immerse themselves in the French way of life. Students have visited Nice and Monaco in the South of France where they visited the Casino Royale, toured the F1 car museum in Monaco, swam in the sea in Cannes and witnessed whales, sharks and dolphins up close in Marineland.
2016 Transition Year students are just back from Paris where they climbed the Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame Cathedral, visited Stade de France, enjoyed a boat cruise on the river Seine, spent a day at Disneyland Paris and visited the Catacombs.
Transition Year students bag pack in Dunnes Stores for at least four weekends to fundraise for their school tour. They have also organised a Fashion Show, a FIFA soccer tournament and a Home Alone Cinema day to fundraise for what is known as the highlight of the year!
North Monastery CBS – Transition Year
Currently in the North Monastery CBS Transition Year is an option one-year school programme.
The purpose of Transition Year within our school is:
- to place emphasis on personal development including social awareness and increased social competence.
- to promote general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-destructed learning
- to give our students a learning experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
In the North Monastery CBS we provide a wide range of subjects as part of our TY programme. At the end of each academic year we review and update these subject choices. We currently offer the following subjects:
Irish, English, Maths, Geography, History, Business, French, Spanish, Art, Physical Education, Music, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Applied Maths, Coding, Construction Studies, Careers & Guidance, Religion, Mental Health Awareness Programme among others.
Assessment is a key part of Transition Year within our school it gives our students an opportunity to move beyond the narrow focus of end-of-year, written exams. The emphasis is on varied and on-going assessment with students themselves becoming involved in diagnosing their own learning strengths and weaknesses. Project work, portfolio work and exhibitions of students’ work are an essential part of our programme.
Our TY students engage a numerous activities during the course the academic year:
- Annual TY European Trip
- Work Experience (over 2 weeks)
- Social Work Experience (over 1 week)
- Careers Exhibitions / Career Talks
- Oysterhaven Activity Centre
- School Tours
- Charitable work / Fundraising
- Mind Your Head (HSE Mental Health Programme)
- Green Flag / Amber Flag / Yellow Flag
- BT Young Scientist Competition
- Young Social Innovators
- Young Enterprise
- TY Mini-Company
- Public Speaking / Debating
- Graffiti Drama Workshop
- CIT Access
- Field Trips (Geography, History, Art, Music etc.)
- Wheelchair Basketball (in association with the Irish Wheelchair Association)